Columbus Compensation Association
Presentation: Geographic Salary Differentials
8:45 AM Virtual Lobby Open
9:00 AM Speaker Presentation
COVID-19 has changed many things about how we live and work, but none more so than the reality that most employees are now working remotely ─ away from their offices that once were the primary base of operations. While this has influenced many HR-related issues, how we will use Geographic Salary Differentials now and into the future will be greatly impacted.
Join us on Thursday, November 19th, for our next membership meeting when we explore what this will mean as employers set pay rates and design salary structures. We will discuss how it will impact the definition of a “competitive labor market” and when geography should still be considered a primary determinant of competitive pay levels and when it shouldn’t. We will also discuss the practical nature of considering geography/location of work on pay programs and attraction/retention of employees, even as current conditions continue to evolve and stabilize. Attendees are encouraged to share their experiences and how they have used geographic salary differentials in a remote working world.
Managing Director and Rewards Line of Business Leader, Willis Towers Watson
Lori Wisper is a Managing Director in Towers Watson’s Talent and Rewards Segment, and she currently leads the Rewards Line of Business in the Chicago market. She has over 30 years of experience both in consulting and corporate HR, primarily focused on Compensation. She has consulted with clients on broad based compensation issues including global compensation strategy and design, total compensation strategy, incentive plan and base salary design, pay for performance strategy, performance management and compensation processes and administration.
In addition to consulting experience with two other national compensation consulting firms, Lori spent five years working as the Director of Global Compensation within the corporate HR function of several companies. The combination of strategic thinking, technical expertise and practical experience has enabled her to advise companies on how to effectively design and implement new reward programs, processes, and technologies. Prior to coming to Towers Watson, she was the Director of Global Compensation for Discover Financial Services and for Underwriters Laboratories Inc. Some of the projects and initiatives that Lori has led include:
- Setting global compensation strategy and pay philosophy along with the creation of a global career banded salary structure and global annual incentive plans.
- Leading the HR related aspects (compensation, benefits and HRIS programs) as Project Manager for the spinoff of a major division of a Fortune 100 company.
- Global sales compensation framework that consolidated 14 diverse sales compensation plans into one globally consistent framework.
- Developing and administering international assignment policies, international relocation policies and negotiation and creating offer letters for international positions.
- Working with executives and other business leaders to design annual incentive plans and other variable pay plans directly tied to business strategy.
- Redesigning salary structures and supporting salary administration programs (including performance management systems) to better support business and human capital strategies; and
- Developing and delivering compensation related speeches, training, and education sessions.