The Corporate Executive of Compensation and Benefits ensures employee-friendly cost-effective benefits are attained and administered, manages a compensation program that is competitive in comparable markets as well as internally, promotes understanding of benefits and compensation by staff through clear and routine communications in accordance with company standards and federal, state, and local standards, guidelines, regulations, and laws.
Essential Activities and Tasks
- Ongoing review of benefits to ensure competitive employee benefits at a reasonable cost and makes recommendations to the Chief Human Resources Officer (CHRO).
- Leads the annual benefits open enrollment process from innovation to implementation.
- Ensures benefits are administered and managed in an accurate and timely manner.
- Reviews the organization’s benefits for competitiveness and determines when it is necessary to obtain new vendor bids.
- Develops and maintains benefits policies and procedures, and reviews regularly to initiate process improvement where possible.
- Maintains all required documentation and recordkeeping in accordance with company standards and federal, state, and local standards, guidelines, regulations, and laws.
- Develops and maintains compensation policies and procedures to stay consistent with the company compensation philosophy, and reviews regularly to initiate process improvement where possible
- Reviews any exception requests to the compensation policy pertaining to approvals, denials, new position requests, pay increases and decreases, and all compensation changes.
- Researches and reports on matters pertaining to executive compensation to the Executive Compensation and Evaluation Committee.
- Provides direction to management on pay decisions, policy and guideline interpretation, and job evaluations.
- Ensures that pay grades and ranges are competitive in comparable markets and assessments of internal equity take place on a regular basis.
- Ensures job codes and titles are appropriately assigned, with the correct pay grade.
- Provides cost analysis for annual merit pay guidelines.
- Oversees the benefits system and assists with the Human Capital Management (HCM) operations, implementations, and upgrades.
- Maintains benefits administration system to automate enrollment and carrier interface.
- Maintains HCM system to serve as the system of record for all employment information.
- Identifies opportunities for data enhancement and process streamlining through automation in the HCM and benefits systems.
Vendor and Contract Management
- Selects, delegates, and oversees the organization’s benefit consultant, as directed by the CHRO.
- Serves as main contact with all benefit vendors.
- Negotiates desired terms on contracts.
- Reviews contracts for accuracy and secures approval from CHRO.
- Manages the third party administrators (TPA) for workers’ compensation and unemployment compensation, ensuring that appropriate measures are taking place to keep associated costs down.
Relationship Management and Communication
Quality, Compliance, and Risk Management
- Responds to questions and concerns on compensation and benefits from management and staff in a timely and concise manner.
- Solicits feedback through employee benefit surveys and other means.
- Oversees messaging, production, and distribution of communications promoting the value of the company-sponsored benefits staff members receive.
- Participates in and contributes to board, committee, and staff meetings on compensation and benefits matters, as needed and as appropriate.
- Keeps abreast of and ensures the organization is in compliance with relevant federal, state, and local regulations and laws pertaining to benefits, wages, labor, and payroll, including FLSA, HIPAA, COBRA, FMLA, ERISA, etc.
- Leads all compliance matters regulated by the Bureau of Workers’ Compensation for self-insured employers.
- Ensures that personnel files are secure and documentation contained is compliant with current company standards and employment guidelines, regulations, and laws (i.e. Form I-9, income tax forms, reference checks, HIPAA regulations, etc.).
- Maintains confidentiality of all personnel information accordance with company standards and employment guidelines, regulations, and laws.
People Management and Development
- Manages compensation, benefits, and payroll staff members and other direct reports.
- Fosters a positive work environment that attracts, retains, and motivates employees.
- Interviews, selects, and orients new direct reports.
- Defines, establishes, and promotes performance expectations so direct reports understand and demonstrate excellence through high quality and consistent performance.
- Evaluates job performance of direct reports in accordance with the company policy and procedure and provides developmental guidance to staff for improved performance and growth.
- Monitors accountability with organization requirements prescribed by the Employee Handbook. Documents and engages employees who are routinely not observing these requirements in an effort to achieve compliance. Works with Human Resources when circumstances arise that necessitate further documentation and intervention.
- Participates in the development, planning, scheduling, conducting, and monitoring of in-service training programs, on-the-job training, and orientation programs for departmental staff.
- Ensures that there is a reasonable and sufficient plan for staffing should a direct report be absent or a direct reporting position be vacant.
- Responds timely and thoughtfully to questions, requests, and work product from departmental staff that has been provided for review and approval.
- Bachelor’s degree in human resources, business administration, finance, or a related field required.
- Certified Employee Benefits Specialist designation from the International Foundation of Employee Benefit Plans (IFEBP) preferred.
- Seven years experience in compensation and benefits operations management required.
- Strong knowledge of compensation and benefits guidelines, regulations, and laws required.
- Proficiency with a large-scale HCM and /or payroll system required.
- Proficiency with a benefits administration system required.
- Proficiency with Windows, Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint), and the internet required.
To learn more about this exciting opportunity and to apply,
go to www.ohioliving.org/careers.
Ohio Living is among the country's leading comprehensive resources on aging well. Our Ohio-based services range from a variety of housing options in one of our life plan communities through the full continuum of care to post-acute home health and hospice support for adults, wherever they live. Most importantly, we're a company that:
· chooses to operate as a faith-based, not-for-profit organization
· makes its mission the heart of our organization
· has a reputation for consistently exceeding the needs and expectations of those we serve
· provides an engaging, team-oriented workplace dedicated to career, family and faith
· commits to recognizing our employees for a job well done
We're looking for people who:
· have a passion for helping people, solving problems and contributing to a positive work environment
· are excited about bringing their personal standards and ideals to work each day
· understand that HOW you do your job is just as important as WHAT you do in your job
Why work at Ohio Living?
Depending on an employee's status, they may benefit from:
· competitive wages
· affordable medical, dental, and vision insurance
· 403b retirement savings
· paid time off including your birthday
· training, continuing education, and education assistance
· the latest technology
· unlimited career opportunities
· and much more!
Who is Ohio Living?
Headquartered in Columbus, Ohio Living is one of the nation's largest not-for-profit, multi-site senior living organizations. Since its founding in 1922, Ohio Living has defined the highest standards of quality of life for adults through its 13 life plan communities and Ohio Living Home Health & Hospice.
Our mission is to provide adults with caring and quality services toward the enhancement of physical, mental and spiritual well-being consistent with the Christian Gospel.
Care * Integrity * Customer ServiceInnovation * Financial Stewardship * Leadership