Responsible for administering State Auto’s pay programs, including communication and data support. Assists in the design, development and implementation of all compensation programs that support the company’s strategic objectives. Conducts compensation modeling, research and analysis to identify total compensation trends, opportunities and issues to stay competitive in the State Auto industry and market. Provides compensation consulting to business units and Strategic Business partners on compensation policies and practices, problem definition and resolution, job offers, job evaluation, compensation training, and various other compensation tasks. Must be a self-starter that is intrinsically motivated.
Supervision Received: Works under the direction of the Compensation Manager.
Supervision Exercised: No direct supervision exercised.
- Responsible for all aspects of the company pay program, including job description development, job evaluation, creating and maintaining salary ranges, participation in compensation surveys and collecting competitive data.
- Consult with Business Partners on job evaluations, job offers and related compensation recommendations based on analysis of internal and external data. Work with all levels of personnel to gather requirements, assess options and provide expertise. The ability to engage in consultative behaviors is key to the success of this role.
- Responsible for maintenance of the compensation system including set up of compensation programs and testing. Act as the compensation subject matter expert for enhancements and semi-annual release activities.
- Develop and administer associate reward programs, such as annual salary/merit reviews, associate incentive programs, recognition programs, and annual salary survey budgeting. May support reward programs to include stock and cash based plans, both short term and long term.
- Understand and apply government regulations to ensure legal compliance with compensation programs. Keep current with industry trends and laws, and make timely recommendations based on trends, government requirements or strategic objectives.
- Communicate effectively with associates, business partners and management to convey program specifics and develop program redesigns. Collaborates with payroll, legal and finance resources to manage all compensation matters.
- Provide compensation data support and modeling.
- Perform all data validation of payroll outputs for both annual bonus and merit programs to ensure pay changes are accurate and on time.
- Relentlessly pursue operational excellence in their space as well as impacting areas.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Knowledge: Knowledge of compensation plan design, competitive trends, as well as compensation programs and structures, framework and approach. Knowledge of applicable federal and state laws and policies that impact wage and hour laws. Knowledge of Human Resources policies and procedures. Knowledge of Google G-Suite apps and Microsoft Office products. Capable of gaining proficiency in the software used within the department. Knowledge of Workday Compensation system highly desired.
- Skills: Excellent project management skills. Skill in researching and completing salary surveys. Highly proficient with compensation data programs. Strong oral and written communication skills. Process improvement orientation with a bias toward simplification. Skill in applying intuition and logic to pinpoint issues and provide resolution. Commitment to accuracy. Strong collaboration skills and ability to work with all levels of personnel to gather requirements, assess options and provide expertise. Expert user of Excel. Google Sheets preferred. Must be a team player in all regards.
- Abilities: Ability to interpret laws, policies and processes to all levels of people. Ability to be a critical thinker to define problems, collect data, establish facts and draw valid conclusions. Ability to deliver results that support business goals and objectives. Ability to create solutions that match the needs of associates. Ability to have a positive attitude and be a role model. Ability to make recommendations to improve processes. Ability to prioritize with a sense of urgency. Ability to independently take an assignment from beginning to end successfully. Ability to be respectfully candid. Ability to apply intuition and logic to pinpoint issues and provide resolution. Ability to be a self-starter that is intrinsically motivated.
- Education: Bachelor’s Degree in Business Administration, Human Resources, related field or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Experience: 5+ years compensation experience, including plan design, data analysis and competitive trends. Prior experience with Workday Compensation preferred.
- Desirable: Certified Compensation Professional (CCP) preferred.